Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Difference Between Husbands and Wives or At Least In My House


The other day when I was vacuuming, I was thinking about the differences between me and my husband when it comes to everyday household stuff. Why is it that men think so differently than women and have their priorities so skewed? Here's what I've noticed.

We have a two story house, so when I don't want to go upstairs, I will leave stuff at the bottom to be taken up whenever anyone goes up. Of course this never happens because my husband and daughter never seem to notice there are things piling up at the bottom of the stairs until I yell will someone take this up!

I can come home and not be in the house for more than 5 minutes and know exactly where the dogs have either peed or pooped in the house (accidentally of course). Like the one time I came home from work at 5 and my husband had been home since 2. I could smell a horrible smell and went right to the source, a big runny mess of dog poo in the dining room. Andy of course was in the next room, happily watching TV. When I asked him, can't you smell that? He's like smell what? Although he claims that his smell is his strongest sense, guess not when it comes to dog poo.


Men suffer what I call the Scarlett O'Hara syndrome, or there's always tomorrow. Like when I wanted to move the huge prehistoric dinosaurs of a TV out of the house when we got our new plasma. Instead it sat in my husband's man office for over a month, when I finally had it with vacuuming around that thing and moved it myself into the garage, but not before screaming for him to help me. Man mantra, do we have to do it now?

Never notices when the couch pillows are smashed, never notices dust bunnies multiplying in the corner, doesn't care if the air conditioner filters are changed, if colors are mixed with the whites in the wash, doesn't care if there are grease spots on the cook top or if the counters are cluttered with mail. Doesn't know that there is an order to the pantry, cans with cans, chips with chips, bake goods with baked goods, there is? Yes dear, there is. And doesn't notice that the sweating water glass is leaving a permanent water mark on the desk.

But on the infrequent occasion when he does clean the bathroom sinks or when he does do a load of laundry, horrors, he will puff up chest and be expected to be thanked for doing the mundane task of housework. And if I say, does anyone ever thank me for vacuuming, mopping, taking the dishes out of the dishwasher, cleaning the oven, change the bedding, cleaning out the closets, so forth and so on, he looks at me like I'm speaking Martian. So I've learned to appreciate the small stuff, take it when it's given like small life pearls and chalk it up to a different points of view. What else can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment