Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ever Have A Perfect Memory?


Ever have one of those memories from your childhood that you can remember in perfect detail? The other day on the TMC channel the "Trouble with Angels" was playing. Watching this movie brought me back to the day I went to see this movie with my best friend growing up in Southern California. I think I was in 6th grade. I remember it was playing at the Vogue Theater downtown. It was summer and very hot, not typical for a town close to the beach. I don't know why this particular day in my mind is so clear. Maybe it was the first time I was able to go to the movies with my girlfriend without being accompanied by my mother, who when I went to the movies with, would cover my eyes during the kissing scenes, oh mom! Maybe it was the movie, "The Trouble With Angels", starring Haley Mills, whom I always wished I were born blond and British. I stopped what I was doing and sat down to watch it. It was just as good now as it was then. I remember my mother taking us to the theater and dropping us off and told us she would pick us up promptly when the movie ended. How I was able to go to the movies without my mother is still a mystery to me. I remember I wore gold capri stretch pants and a black turtle neck, even though it was summer outside. My hair was pulled back in a single pony tail. How I felt like Audrey Hepburn in that outfit! I bought Goobers and Terri bought a box of vanilla bon-bon ice cream bites covered in chocolate. I remember sitting through that movie and in the end when the Haley Mills character sees Mother Superior, Rosalind Russell, mourn the death of one of the sisters and then decides to join the convent, I was crying in the dark.
In the ensuing years, the Vogue theater converted to showing Spanish films, I lost touch with Terri after junior high school, she went to another school, and I don't know what happened to those gold capri pants.
As I watch my daughter play with her friends on the computer, I'm wondering will she ever have that perfect girlhood memory that she will remember one day while doing housework or something, in perfect nostaglic detail? I hope she does, because in the end, isn't perfect memories all we have?-Single D

No comments:

Post a Comment