Sunday, March 14, 2010

Paula Dean's Savannah Cheesecake Cookies or Rather Bar



My daughter and I love anything cheesecake, so when Paula Dean made her Savannah Cheesecake cookies that required little more than mixing, I was like, I have to make those! Why is it that I'm always watching the Food Network during my 30 minute treadmill? Well, Sundays are the days that I cook up a big Sunday dinner, this week, my corned beef and roasted veggies with smashed red potatoes, delicious. Of course no big Sunday meal could come to a satisfying conclusion without something sweet so it was time to try those cookies. This is a perfect recipe to let your kids help.
Crust:
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts because it was in the pantry)
1 stick of melted butter
Mix everything together-press into 13 x 9 pan (I used one that was slightly smaller because I wanted the cheesecake to be taller)
cook for 12-15 minutes at preheated-350 until lightly brown.
Filling:
2 8oz packages of cream cheese softened
1 cup of granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 t pure vanilla
Fresh berries
Beat cream cheese and sugar together until smooth (with hand held electric mixer)
Add eggs and extract and beat till smooth.
Pour over crust
Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is lightly brown. Let cool completely before cutting. Add fresh strawberries or other fruits.
I thought the cream cheese filling wasn't as sweet as it should be but I think with fresh berries, it's a perfect compliment. Less of a cookie and more of a bar.
And now for my Big Sunday Dinner:
Corned Beef with roasted veggies and smashed red potatoes:
Cook corned beef according to package directions-about 3 hours in water
Boil red potatoes (whole) until tender but still firm, drain. In skillet, add olive oil and 1/2 stick of butter, add red potatoes whole in pan. With a large fork or wooden spatula, smash red potatoes till broken but still somewhat intact. Chop 4 cloves of garlic and sprinkle on top and add salt and pepper and onion powder. Cook till brown and has a nice crust.
Since my family is not to fond of boiled veggies with the corned beef, I roast them instead. Take about 6 stalks of celery, wash and cut into thirds leaving the leaves on. Peel six carrots and cut into thirds and if the bottoms are rather thick cut those in quarters so they will cook evenly. Sprinkle oil olive and salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, once corned beef has cooked, take out of pot, let rest and then slice. After slicing, I like to place the slices on top of the roasted veggies and put in oven on broil until the meat is firm and crusty, about 5 minutes. Hey, I like everything crusty. Serve and enjoy and hey, happy St. Paddy's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment